Sunday, August 4, 2019

Day #3 Reaching Heaven ~ from Melschsee-Frutt to Meiningen and then Grindelwald

Day #3 Reaching Heaven ~ from Melschsee-Frutt to Meiringen ~ Grindelwald (Wednesday)

Note the ridge trail line! (upwards)
This day we start up a steep terrain and take 2 hours to the ridge trail at 7000 feet. Anna actually has chosen the easier ascent route for me over a more direct uphill route under the non-functioning chair lift.  Even so I am panting and constantly out of breath. I am no longer arrogantly feeling “fit” and tell Anna I don't like seeing the trail going constantly upward so I try to distract myself by staring at the beautiful flowers and thinking positive thoughts. 





Kind of embarrassing as others pass us by and I know Anna would have bounded up the hillside like a mountain goat.  I am comforted by the cow bell sounds and watching them as the cows lick each other gently.  I wonder how they managed to get up here so high. Did they take the cable car?







Once to the top of this strenuous hike we walk another 2 hours up and down along the narrow, rocky ridge trail which has absolutely stunning views of the peaks of Wetterhorn, Mittelhorn, Rosehorn and steep valleys below. I'm glad I made it to this version of heaven.

Ridge trail hike 


Anna coaches me with encouragement 



Really a mountain biker up here! 

I think all totaled this has been 1000 feet ascent (22,000 steps on my Fitbit) when we reach the ski lift top. Here we have lunch, ordering energy food, that is,  macaroni and cheese that includes much better cheeses than the Kraft version as well as potatoes and onion bits. (aka alplermagronen) This dish is paired with fresh apple sauce and local beer for Anna and again cappuccino for me. I decide having wine or beer at lunch would impair my ability to hike afterwards, although I break this rule later on.

alplermagronen
After 2 gondolas down (2 transfers) as well as a cable car we arrive in Meiringen known for its meringues and also for the place where Sherlock Holmes committed suicide.  Of course I buy a big box of meringues which are incredible and fast become one of my favorite hiking snacks. 

Meringue Snacks for sustenance 

Next we go back up the mountain again taking 2 buses on very narrow roads where cars have to back up to let us go by. Sometimes cows block our way and a bus rider gets out to shoo them away.


We reach the summit of Grindelwald with a view of the Jungfrau Region of the Alps.  While Anna would have easily hiked back down to Grindelwald she senses I am bushed;  I am wishing I had practiced with more stairs. 

View from our hotel deck of Eiger and Jungfrau

We arrive at Hotel Kirchbuhl which is my favourite hotel because we are given the Heidi room.  Do you remember the book about Heidi, a young girl in her grandfather's care in the Swiss Alps? In this case I would say I have the companionship of my daughter Anna/Heidi, whose intelligent and cheerful attitude makes me feel like a 20 year old again. Again we  have a great view although the room is hot and of course, without air conditioning.  






The deck at this hotel has the most amazing views of Jungfrau Alps and Eiger mountain. The Eiger mountain (13,015 feet) of the Bernese Alps overlooks Grindelwald in the Bernese Oberland of Switzerland. The emblematic view dominates our attention with its large glaciers which are disappearing. I wonder if my grandchildren will ever see glaciers?






Many climbers have attempted the north face of this mountain and at least 64 have died, earning it the German nickname “murderous wall”.  As I contemplate why climbers have been driven to achieve this dangerous ascent I also notice that at every new hotel we are saying “this is the best yet, nothing can beat this”. Perhaps these climbers are striving for new vistas and challenges as we are amazed by the beauty of nature. For pre-dinner this time I try a Hugo spritzer, another favorite Swiss drink while Anna continues to sample different local beers so she can send Zach beer pictures. Dinner on this deck is another meal to live for with amazing views. Anna has her first Cordon Blue while I have scallops.  We frequently share our meals which is lovely way to try different dishes. I feel so lucky to have this time with my daughter and think about how Heidi managed to bring joy to others despite being an orphan and not having the best parents. Perhaps it was nature that sustained her.






No comments:

Post a Comment