Monday, October 17, 2016

Upon Reflection Fifty Years Later


October 14, 2016

Upon Reflection Fifty Years Later




Penny and Susan 


Fifty years ago I went to Neuchatel Junior College, a Canadian school in Switzerland. Around 100 17-18 year olds from across Canada and a handful of Americans traveled by the Carinthia boat to attend this small school for what was then known as grade thirteen. (a high school requirement at that time in Ontario) We were housed with Swiss families where the objective was to speak French as much as possible. Remember this was a time when there was no email, no digital cameras, no computers and phone calls were outrageously expensive so very rare. We were virtually cast adrift by our parents to explore Europe.  Such trusting parents we had!  While John likes to tell people I went to a “finishing school” I protest because for me this school represented a Coming of Age experience. It was the beginning of new learning about living with a foreign family, a different language, developing new friendships and cultural horizons and becoming infected with what can be learned from travel.

When the invitation came that there was a 50th reunion of Neuchatel Junior College I initially declined. The date was inconvenient occurring between two other trips away and I wasn’t sure a 50th reunion was a good idea.  Would we all look terribly old? Would I remember any one? Would any one recognize me? Was it a good idea to look backwards? How much did I remember about this year abroad? However, both my Neuchatel roommates Julie from Vancouver and Ginny from Prince Edward Island who had remained good friends over the years were going to attend and I began to feel this was a trip not to be missed.

Janice, Robin, Barnie, Jenny, Ginny 

Ginny and Julie my roommates 

I was able to find my Neuchatel diary in our basement that I had not read since leaving Neuchatel. Reading my daily journal entries on the plane to Toronto I was surprised by my beautiful handwriting that looks nothing like my handwriting today.  Was this really me writing? Reading this journal released old neurons and memories that had long been dormant. Since Ginny and Julie were also going to bring their diaries … I wondered if I really wanted to share what was in my diary. In fact, I pondered the idea of losing or burning my diary for surely I never want my children or husband to read this! At times my comments seemed so shallow and self-absorbed with a focus on how much alcohol we were drinking, whether or not to smoke, who was in love with who, how I handled advances from boys who seemed to want to kiss and fondle me at the Rotunda Friday night dances, fear and delight with breaking curfews, obsession with what we ate and a concern about getting too fat. Where was the learning about culture, art, history? What did I learn?

Here are a few excerpts from my diary of the first days on the boat:

“The boys from Neuchatel seem quite young although a lot of the girls and boys drink a lot. Shockmuch! Just the same I’ll never drink!

Two days later

“We bombed around getting ready for the gala night. Janice, Ginny, Jenny, Julie and I went as Indians and marched in a tent and guess what we won 2 bottle of champagne. We went to the bar for dancing and I tried a Tom Collins, rum and coke, and gin and tonic and beer.  Actually I just tried a sip of everyone’s drinks.  I danced with Tom, Barrie, Dave and a guy from Liverpool. We hated to leave because it was so neat. We decided not to go to bed and stay up to see the sun rise.  Julie and Ginny are in our room ~ illegally of course.”

Next morning
“I got sick and I swear it wasn’t sea sickness cause I’m supposed to be hardy. I threw up all that delicious steak and heaven knows even the wine soon departed. I think I was sick because of no sleep, the cigarette and all that booze I had to drink.” 

Leaving the boat in Liverpool

“On the bus I sat with Jenny. Suddenly four very strange looking creatures went by ~ boys with the longest hair I’ve ever seen. One boy had it peroxided. I soon saw others had the same style in Oxford but will never be as surprised as that first glimpse.”

Barrie, Dave, Julie, Ginny and I are illegally listening to Beatles records in our room.”

In Oxford and Stratford

“Jamie was my date for going to Stratford cause Jenny was going with Robin. We went through the Shakespeare Exhibition and had a picnic lunch on the side of the Avon River and fed the swans our lunch. We ran holding hands up to the church where Shakespeare’s tomb is. It was an awe inspiring experience. Then we went to see Tymon of Athens that was really good. Jamie was great and in the middle of the show we held hands!! Jamie is really nice; he flatters me too much. “

Carolyn with Collin who coached me 

Carolyn and Ginny 

You get the idea .. in between visits to various palaces, graves, cathedrals, parks, concerts I ramble in my diary about the other students, dances, meeting European men and our various adventures.  We like our “madame” who takes good care of us.. but are dismayed that she will only turn on the hot water once a week for a shared bath and never seems to change her black dress.  Some days we are very hungry and we buy yogurt and chocolate to put on our window ledges for emergency use.  I am working hard at Chemistry, French, Biology, Latin, English and Algebra but worried about my grades. I feel the other students are much smarter and certainly not as naive as I am. 
I have a lot to learn.  We have a condensed academic schedule due the time taken for many trips for skiing a month in Austria, 3 weeks in Italy, and then a summer in Germany, France, and Hungry.

View from my room 

Carolyn in Venice 


Ginny 
Meeting in our hotel room in Toronto, Julie and Ginny and I spend the afternoon reading to each other excerpts from our diaries. We started with September 3rd .1965 as we had journaled almost every day of our year abroad. Our thoughts were somewhat similar and there was validity to the comments. Ginny was also worried about her grades and Julie was worried about her boyfriend at home and the wisdom of having a new boyfriend.  


We laughed continually and shared feelings, worries and perspectives. 


Julie and Ginny 


About 1 week after we arrived in Neuchatel the principal Mr. Wilde who was the founder of the school and David Darling another student were killed in a car accident. This clearly had a big impact on all the students and in our diaries we wrote about going to the Mr. Wilde’s funeral. It is amazing to think that all of us away from home had our father surrogate and charismatic mentor snatched from us. There was no school counselor, no family or parent and some students were asked to take on adult roles in participating in the funerals. Clearly our diaries indicated how difficult this was for us.
Here is one of my postings. 

“I can’t really fathom that they have been killed yet. It’s just too awful. Death is a strange, scary thing and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to understand it. May God look after the school, my friends and family at home. Today at school was dreary and upsetting. We slugged through classes and trudged home in unhappy spirits. David’s funeral is tomorrow.”

We only got to December in our diary discussion when we realized that the reunion dinner was in 30 minutes.  We were lost deep into memories. At the dinner there were 40 Neuchatel students and some brought their partners.  Janice Webster had worked hard to locate many students… and about 11 of them had died. 


Ginny and Ruth 
Ruth had asked everyone to contribute a brief bio sketch of their lives since Neuchatel and to answer some questions about their experiences at Neuchatel. She has compiled these documents into a wonderful memory book. There was much discussion at the dinner about the death of Mr. Wilde and the student David Darling. It was clear that this was unfinished business and for a moment I felt like we were teenagers again reworking something that should have been shared years earlier. 

A small auction arranged by Kim and his wife was held to collect funds for some kind of memorial for David at the school. 





It seemed to me that most people had found Neuchatel to be a major developmental milestone in their lives having grown up quickly, learned to deal with separation from family, coping with sudden tragedy and loss, and how to move on under difficult circumstances as well as making some lifelong friends. This learning was more intangible than a test score for algebra or history or physics would indicate but something fundamentally core about social and emotional development as we become adults.  

Carolyn, Julie, Janice, Ginny, Kim, Collin 
The next morning a few of us met for breakfast to talk about politics, our children and more current events. Unfortunately I was leaving that afternoon and would miss the gala and breakfast next morning. However, I learned that reunions and reflections on one's past experiences are worthwhile in ways that are hard to explain. As my diary I think it will disappear soon. 


We talked about reconnecting again perhaps on the West coast.  Clearly this is a diverse, curious, interesting group of people with much to share in the next chapter of their lives. I am sorry I have not kept in touch with more classmates as I had missed out on some fascinating friendships. However, my friendships with my roommates Julie and Ginny had been long lasting and wonderful.
I look forward to possible future meetings..perhaps in Seattle or Vancouver. 



 Here are a few picture taken at dinner. Sorry I did not have my camera so these are Iphone pictures

and not great in such low light. Of course every one would look much younger if I had my proper camera.

Carolyn, Julie and Ginny 





 
   

 

 



   




No comments:

Post a Comment