Sunday, June 22, 2014

Granada ~ Alhambra Palaces and Gardens


June 11-12, 2014

Alhambra in the Moonlight 

Granada ~ Alhambra Palaces and Gardens

We leave early for the airport giving us enough time to get lost but find we have arrived at this tiny airport at 8 am ~ 2 hours early!  Since John hates waiting he insists this gives us time to tour Hondarriba, which is the enchanting town across from France where we had dinner with Ignacia and Joaquin.  We drive into town and take an elevator up the bluff to a quaint village where there is an old cathedral and an amazing Parador hotel. Naturally we sip coffee on the Placa and enjoy the ambience, which is abundant. John leans in and says he hates to have to remind me but we have a plane to catch and I reluctantly leave.

After entering and re-entering the airport several times and not finding the Budget car rental parking place we leave our car in the visitor parking lot and rush to check in.  I wonder if there will be a required 40-minute check in time here, and if so we are in trouble even though we do have our passports!  Thankfully we encounter no difficulties, although when we return the car key to the Budget lady she tells us we have to move the car into the correct place. John insists it is not marked accurately and I am reminded of him arguing with the car navigational man. However, to my embarrassment this time it is a sweet young Spanish girl who says she will show him the sign. A few minutes later he returns and tells me she said she would do it by herself. Good decision on her part I think.

Alhambra ~ Parador de Granada San Francisco 


Historic Hotel ~  previously Moorish palace and then Monastery 

Although our flight to Granada stops in Madrid we still manage to be at our hotel in Alhambra by 1 pm. Our historic hotel ~ Parador de Grenada San Francisco has 40 rooms and is a former Moorish palace that was later transformed in the 15th century into a Franciscan monastery. 






It is a beautiful hotel and from our bedroom window we have a view of the Generalife gardens and the Sierra Nevada Mountains with snow capped peaks in the distance. 


View from our room 
The Spanish Muslims ruled from Alhambra until 1492 when the Catholics conquered them.  This was the last Moorish stronghold in Europe.  It was once a city of 1000 people fortified by a rampart 1.5 miles long and having 30 towers.  The Catholic monarchs Ferdinand and Isabel asked to be buried here but were later moved to the Granada cathedral. Alhambra became a National Monument in1887. I have read in our tour guide that Alhambra is one of Europe’s top sights and has 8000 visitors a day. I wonder what makes this place so special because we have seen amazing sites elsewhere.  We stroll down the hill past gorgeous gardens to get tickets for the nighttime tour of Palaios Nazares. John tells me we have been in the royal palace before ~ he says it was the first year we were married (1973). I have no recollection of this and this memory loss bothers me ~ perhaps he is thinking of another girl. Or, perhaps I was so besotted with John that I didn’t remember any thing else.  Actually I do have a vivid memory of sitting in a cave with John watching flamingo dances so I know I was once somewhere in Spain.

Dinner & Palace by Moonlight

We have dinner at 9 pm in our Parador Hotel and John is happy because he can order paella. I have risotto with mushrooms and our starter is what has become one of our favorites ~ tomato salad with tuna and plenty of olives.  I did not know John was an olive lover.  We were told the paella would take 30 minutes to make and John had phoned the restaurant ahead of time to tell them he would be ordering it and wanted it ready because we had a 10 pm ticket for the night tour of the palace.
We are served at 10 pm and just have time to eat some of these very big servings and ask the waiter to bring the rest to our room to have when we return. We dash to the palace entrance and make it by 10:25, 5 minutes before the closing time for our entrance ticket.  I wonder if we need a time management course because we always seem to be rushing.





Arabic Inscriptions 

Palacias Naizaries is spectacular in the moonlight.  We see royal offices, ceremonial rooms, and private quarters built in the 14th century in Mooorish (Islamic) style.  It has ornate stucco, colored ceramic tiles galore, scalloped windows, tile and carved wooden ceilings, Arabic inscriptions on the walls everywhere and filigree windows. The palace speaks of a refined and elegant Moorish civilization. And then we see the open-air courtyards with amazing fountains and rectangular length pools. Because there is a full moon the palace is mirrored in the garden pond. It is a magical place and I begin to understand why it is draws so many people young and old.

June 12
Palace and Gardens by Daylight 

We start our day at 9 am by strolling in the Generalife Gardens for 90 minutes before our Palacias Naizaries ticket entrance time.  The lighting is perfect for photography and the temperature just right ~ 70-80’s.



Perfect Gardens
I fall in love with these gardens and in particular the simple, elegant fountains, which are around every corner. I talk to John about where I can put a fountain in our home in Seattle or Vashon. I am reinvigorated about gardening and think about trees and plants I can add to our gardens at home. 





I would like a fountain like this! 

My dream fountain.. small and elegant 

Scalloped Arches with Magnificent Views 

Lovely stone pathway

Palace Naizaries in Daylight  

As usual not enough time.. and I don't want to leave.  We rush to the palace, which looks even more beautiful in the daylight than at night. The colors are brighter and the fine details of Arabic inscriptions more visible. My photographs can't possibly capture the beauty of this intricate work or its magic. I take several hundred pictures.






Ceiling 


Ceiling and tops of walls 


Dome 





Red Ceiling 



Spending several hours touring this palace and imagining what it must have been like with furniture and people, next we reluctantly move on to the Alcazaba fort. 


Alcazaba Fort 

Fort 



Charles V's Renaissance Palace

Finally we progress to Charles V’s Renaissance Palace. We are intrigued with the unique circle within a square building design ~ apparently by a student of Michelangelo.   The mottled columns are interesting and we wonder what kind of stone produced these. In Charles V’s Palace we also view the museum that is said to have the best collection of Moorish art. 


Charles V's Palace 


 I become intrigued with the expressions on the faces of people as they view this place ~ as well as all the different hats worn by tourists. I wonder if I can tell what country they come from by their hat. 

Add caption











We go back to the hotel to nap and have lunch.  I reflect on all that we have seen and I’m not sure how much more beauty I can absorb.  I am thinking I enjoy the beauty and relaxed nature of the gardens more than the palaces. 



As usual we have olives and a wonderful salad with tuna and talk of how we can make this when we get home. 




Granada Cathedral
Next we take a taxi into Granada to see the Granada Cathedral and the Royal Chapel.The Catholic cathedral was built over a destroyed mosque started in the 1500 and ended in 1700’s. It has a Gothic foundation and was built mostly in Renaissance style. Here the emphasis is more on the immaculate Virgin Mary than Jesus. She is depicted as young, lovely, beaming, pure looking, free from sin, innocent and with long wavy hair.  I talk to John about how people came to believe Mary was a virgin and confess that I am having trouble being very excited about cathedrals which are dark, dingy, and have all their golden statues covered with metal bars.  Seems it would be nice to see more light and perhaps have the organ working.  

We cross the street to the Royal Chapel where Ferdinand and Isabel are now buried. There are marble statues of them lying in bed and the indentation in Isabel’s pillow of her head is greater than Ferdinand’s. This is said to have done because her head was bigger and heavier because she was smarter. I like that women's intelligence was valued in this period.


John on his I-pad either reading the New York Times or planning 

Back at the hotel for dinner at 8:30 ~ early for us but then we are leaving for the train station at 7:30 am.  After dinner we saunter in the gardens and with the sound of the fountains feel very relaxed.


No comments:

Post a Comment